Saturday 24 July 2010

Negative Aspects of Freelance Writing

In A Bunch of Crap I Hate About Writing and a Challenge Jaipi Sixbear issues a challenge to "positive" writers to dig deep and give voice to some of their more negative feelings about writing. I have never given much thought to whether or not I count as a positive writer. I am a writer, and I hope a good one. One who is getting better with each day's writing and each new challenge - perhaps not measurably from one day to the next, but I know I'm making progress.

I don't generally engage in discussions of what I don't like about writing. I mean, why depress myself? Dwelling on all the drawbacks of one's job is counterproductive. Speaking ill of one's profession, one's colleagues or one's employers has a predictably negative effect on one's career. Sure, sometimes a little catharsis can be healthy. Airing the results of that process on the internet for all to see? Maybe not so healthy.

Still . . .

Read more...